How To Avoid PASS (Post Application Sending Syndrome)

I'm a senior and to all you other seniors out there getting ready to send out college apps: DON'T FREAK OUT!

I know. That's the worst advice anybody could give you. How could you NOT freak out at a situation such as this one? This basically determines our life paths! Well, I just sent my app to my dream college and yeah, avoiding PASS (Post Application Sending Syndrome), as I like to call it, is near impossible. But I have learned a few ways to calm yourself down when you send your app and to keep yourself calm after sending the deadly thingamabob.

1. Realize that getting rejected is not the end of the world


I'll admit it. Those big red rejected stamps looks scary. But college rejections don't look like this, so don't worry.

Face it, guys. Rejection isn't the end of the world. It'll probably break your heart, but it could be worse. I'm serious. Getting accepted might be the most important thing to you in the world right now, but you have to step out of your little 12th grade box and take a look at your life. College is only a small portion. Anyway, rejection builds character once you get over it.

2. Be optimistic


You see those orange, red and bluefaces? Those are students infected with PASS. And no, you don't want that. You want to be the yellow face that is immune to PASS.

No, I'm not saying look forward to an acceptance, because it might not happen. Expecting the good is not the best idea. But have an optimistic approach to everything. Let whatever happen happen. If I don't get accepted into *enter dream college here*, fine. And nope.That's not sarcasm, people. Just look at the positive side of everything.

3. Have a backup college that you would be happy to go to


Harvard's my backup. What's yours? (Just kidding!)

Some people tend to pick backup colleges just for the heck of it, but that's not good. It's not like you would ever consider going there if you got accepted. Okay, they might not have the Ivy brand name, but they should be colleges you are super excited about. Do a lot of research, talk to students who go there, and find backups that fit your personality and studying philosophy.

4. Move On


This picture really makes me want to go to the beach. But, y'know, winter and all that.

Instead of waiting restlessly, concentrate on finishing your senior year with stellar grades and having fun. For me, I think I'll be focusing on my hobbies. Dance, write, play, and work on this blog. Do everything to keep your mind off the college apps that are sitting on the admissions officers' desks. 'Cause like I said, life goes on and college is only a small portion of what you'll be going through.

(This may or may not have been my way to calm my own PASS. It's surprisingly helped, so I hope it helps you too.)


-Barista Mia-

Images:  Sean MacEntee, Anders Rune Jensen, Patricia Drury, Wayne Silver

0 comments: